Wednesday 21 March 2012

The Tulip Top

So finally I got to finish my top that I previewed in my very first post. Seems like it took forever, in all reality it was finished over 3 weekends but when you get to sew for only a few hours a week everything seems to take forever. 




I have to admit that the fabric was a bit of a bitch to work with but I'm totally thrilled with how it turned out. It's based on the lovely Tiny Pocket Tank available here from Grainline. I wanted something with sleeves, saw this sleeve pattern which is for the Sorbetto Top and thought I'd give it a whirl. Turns out the sleeve is a tiny bit bigger for the tank pattern but I just put a pleat in the top of the sleeve and happy days! 


I put in an exposed zipper in the back, my first ever.




In another first, I didn't know what to do about french seams on the curve of the armsyce so I just zig-zagged over the raw edge of the seam. I've since learned that I can in fact french seam this area, booooo!
I'd love to make this up next in a silk, just to challenge myself even more. 


Now I have no more sewing projects on the go. I've been putting alot of thought about what to sew for the cooler weather, well as cool as it gets in Brisvegas in Winter. I really like this Cropped Blazer Pattern from Salme Patterns on Etsy but cant find anyone who has made up this pattern. Maybe I should quit being a wuss and just give it a bash, what do you think?


Till next time!

3 comments:

  1. Cute top. Looks great with the red pants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice. What is it with pretty fabrics being a pain to cut/ sew up? I'm finding that a narrow hemmer foot is a great alternative to french seams. Turns everything in and seals it off beautifully and you don't need the extra allowance/ half calculations..

    PS your comments don't work for non-Google users (OpenID isn't working either). You might want to install disqus so that people from other platforms can comment, keep track of comment responses and not have to deal with recaptcha word recognition annoyances (disqus has akismet, the same anti-spam algorith wordpress uses...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip about the narrow hemmer foot, will have to hunt around for one. I think I fixed the comments too, I'm a bit blogger illiterate so not too sure about installing disqus.

    ReplyDelete